Thursday, 20 December 2012

The End of the World...really?


This blog now concerns the end of the world. It’s supposed to be tomorrow but I’m not as excited as I thought I would be…neither is the rest of the world apparently. I don’t see anyone jumping off any buildings or selling their possessions and what-not. For those of you that are in my boat, welcome aboard! Thinking that the world would end tomorrow would have some sort of changing effect on one’s psyche. I don’t think that a lot of persons know what they would do if they had the slightest belief that they would die the next day. For me, I would just lie down and cross my arms and wait for the Lord to come for me. I even think that I would be excited to experience it. From a cataclysmic point-of-view, I would go outside and watch like the man in the 2012 movie.
Now, we head on to the meat of this matter. I did some research about the whole Mayan prophesy. I would hate to believe that we who think that we are oh so evolved would even give a second look to a “prophesy” of a calendar created by a tribe of primitive sun-worshipers who also believe that the sacrifice of humans gives power to the sun. I would hate to believe that we as the most highly intellectual beings, of imaginations to create the most innovative things could EVER in our right minds believe something that was prophesied by a set of people that couldn’t even see their own extinction coming.  That’s just me; I’m not asking you to agree, just keep reading.
Firstly, the ‘Long Count’ calendar, as it is called, was developed in 355 B.C and yes it does have some merit. They were able to use their observations and mathematic prowess to calculate the future movements of stars across the skies. Thought this is really impressive, there is no proof that the movement of stars in the sky has even the slightest effect on human activity or history, even if you subscribe to the horoscope.  Also, according to this same said calendar, life began at 3114 B.C and whether you are an evolutionist or creationist, you’d agree with me that there is all manner of evidence that points to the contrary, in fact, both theories indicate that life started way earlier.
What’s really funny is that the Mayans don’t claim to be prophets at all, neither have I come across any evidence to suggest that they declared their calendar as having predicted the end of the world. It could be the end of a cycle of astronomical proportions, or according to Facebook, they thought that Mitt Romney would win the Presidential elections. There isn’t anything more to this than wildly speculative extrapolations, based on the yet-uncertain interpretations by scholars of Mayan hieroglyphs.
Now, I have to bring some Bible into this. Hopefully, by this time you’re still reading and haven’t switched tabs to Facebook more than twice. Face it, nothing new has happened and you have no new notifications. Now back to the Bible. Some of you that know the Bible has made it known emphatically that no one knows the day nor the hour for the end. The Bible even goes so far as to say that not even Jesus knows when He’s coming back, or scheduled to come back. Only the Father knows (Mark 13:32) and to explain this would take another 4 hours of discussion. Why would the Almighty God allow these cruel, brutal tribesmen to discover the long-awaited secret about the end-times and nowhere do any of His most trusted prophets make the slightest mention of a date? Isn’t it He that made the world in the first place? (Genesis 1:1, John 1:1-3)
As I end off, one has to take everything as it is. If you subscribe to this prediction, you would also have to take into account that our sun is a god that feeds on the blood of human sacrifices. Seeing as we have stopped worshiping the sun for a good while now, I think it should be either dead or angry. I can only hope that those of you, who were gracious enough to read it, allow some of it to sink in even though you may not believe in the sun-god like the Mayans do.


PS.The movie Apocalypto was really good and was based on a Mayan, a must-watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!